Tuesday, February 4, 2014

High and small

__________High and  small __________ 

Charlene DiFonzo Holmes


"Sometimes, you have to be up really high to understand how small you are."
~Felix Baumgartner, who set the record for parachuting from the edge of space, more than 24 miles up.

Although it has been about eighteen months since the infamous jump, the sponsors just released a high-def longer version to watch.  

I watched him exit his stationary air-craft and stand on its edge preparing to leap.  The view of space meeting the horizon of earth is breathe taking.  I was in 'AWE' of the grandeur of seeing darkness and light meet.  I felt so humbled, so tiny . . . 

So why isn't space illuminated too? Why is there darkness when Earth's atmosphere meets the edge of space? Why such a distinction between where Earth's influence ends and the darkness of space begins?  

If pictures can paint a thousand words, what is this one trying to say?  My unprofound immediate thoughts of Genesis 1v1 "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth . . ."  1v3 And God said, "Let there be light, . . .",  1v4 ". . . And God separated the light from the darkness."  
How did the writer of this ancient book know the light was separated from the dark?  

John 1v1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God"
THE Word spoke and it IS. 

This is life on this illuminated dust ball- darkness is always pressing in on every side. Some days I am more aware of it then others.  Somedays I feel like the darkness is taking over and is all consuming.  With all that is in me, which isn't much, I try to beat it back with-in myself ---and that only works superficially.


So how does darkness get beaten back?  Certainly not by my fleshy ideas and habits. There is only one way to beat it back ---and that is with the Word that became flesh and dwelt among us.  It is with the words of the Word reflecting His light off me, just as the sun reflects its light off the earth.  It is realizing to whom I belong and where I stand in my relationship with my Creator.  The higher and more intimately I stand with Him the more I realize my finiteness and His infinite AWEsomeness.  My weakness and His Strength.  My utter dependence on Him and His limitless provisions.  2 Cor 12v10 ". . . For when I am weak, then I am strong."

The higher I stand with Him the smaller I feel; like a wee child whose every need depends on her parents.  Do I dare trust him to supply those needs?  It is hard when you spend a lifetime trying to make your own way, have your own way, and do it your own way.  Some days there is no-way, just His-way.


There are time when we are in a position like Baumgartner chose, 24+ miles up and no where to go but one ---down!



Father, help me to jump and trust you are the parachute of my soul.  Abba Daddy, show me how to fall with grace, fall expectantly, fall into your Love, fall into Hope, 
fall so you may fill-in all the holes, fall so I may stand tall, 
fall so You will be lifted up.














No comments:

Post a Comment